News‎ > ‎

McGuinness goal secures 2 points for Reds

posted 7 Mar 2014, 14:48 by Edenderry GAA   [ updated 8 Mar 2014, 00:29 ]

Edenderry 1-9 0-8 St Brigid's

A goal twenty seconds into the second half from veteran forward Keith McGuinness was the difference between the two sides as Edenderry secured their second brace of points in the 2014 Division one football league.

The twenty nine year was on the end of a brilliant pass from Stuart Cullen who sent a high lobbing ball straight across the square and it was McGuinness who caught it before cutely finishing to the back of the Croghan net. It was a vital goal for Edenderry as they had struggled to put St Brigid's away and it was apparent from early in the game that a goal could end up settling the tie.

Derek Kelly opened the scoring after four minute and when Brigid's replied two minutes later, it was Kelly who again put his side back in front with an excellent left footed point. The teams traded points with Mark Young and Keith McGuinness both pointing for Edenderry before a wonderful point from centre back Sean Pender gave Edenderry a two point cushion.

Edenderry were now leading 0-5 0-3 with twenty minutes gone but St Brigid's popped over three points in four minutes courtesy of some reliable free taking from Bobby Troy to overtake the reds and give the home side a one point lead. A late Derek Kelly point drew the sides level just before the half time break.

Edenderry 0-6 0-6 St Brigid's

Edenderry needed to produce a better performance in the second half and they managed to get off to the best possible start when Richie Dalton sent a long ball out wide to Stuart Cullen straight from the throw in. Cullen sent a quick first time ball across the square and it McGuinness who read the situation the best, calmly collecting the ball before placing it past the Croghan goalkeeper.

Five minutes later McGuinness gave Edenderry an insurance point after some great play from Diarmaid Meleady, Daniel Nolan, Richie Dalton and Stuart Cullen. St Brigid's registered their two scores of the second half in the thirteenth and fifteenth minute but late scores from Derek Kelly and Richie Dalton secured the win for Edenderry.

Edenderry had some good performances throughout the field through Sean Marshall, Colm Byrne, Sean Pender, Richie Dalton, Keith McGuinness and Derek Kelly.

Brian Quinlan, Mark Abbott, Sean Marshall, James Mackey, Colm Byrne, Sean Pender(0-1), Gary Blong, Richie Dalton(0-1), Cian Lawton, Dan Nolan, Mark Young(0-1), Diarmaid Meleady, Keith McGuinness(1-2), Derek Kelly(0-4), Stuart Cullen.

Subs: Ciaran Farrell for Dan Nolan, Peter Manley for Stuart Cullen, Leslie Nolan for Cian Lawton.

Referee: David Walsh (Gracefield)