News‎ > ‎

Juniors lose to Tullamore

posted 24 Jun 2011, 07:08 by Serva sport
Edenderry juniors suffered their second defeat in three days after they lost to Tullamore on Thursday night on a scoreline of 2-4 to 1-10.

Similar to the senior game on Wednesday night the reds made a blistering start to the game and after just forty three seconds Mark Young had the ball in the back of the net after a great pass from Peter O'Neill. Unfortunately that great start lead to nothing as Edenderry would fail to score again until the thirtieth minute. With five minutes gone Tullamore got their first score of the game and five minutes later they added their second. The blues were well on top throughout the first half and drew the game level on fourteen minutes.

With seventeen minutes on the clock Tullamore went one in front and straight from the kickout they managed to get in for a goal. Two more points for Tullamore had Edenderry trailing by six points as the clock ticked into stoppage time but two points in injury time from Dan Ryan, who had replaced Mark Young as a blood sub and a free from Peter O'Neill reduced the gap to four.

Edenderry could count themselves very lucky to be only trailing by four at half time as Tullamore had amassed over ten wides. 

Half Time: 
Edenderry 1-2 
Tullamore 1-6

Edenderry's half time team talk seemed to work and with just two minutes gone Paddy Lynch took the ball around the goalkeeper and finished to the net after a great through ball from Mark Young. Peter O'Neill kicked his second free of the game and the sides were now level. But exactly like the first half, Tullamore pointed in the fifth, ninth and fourteenth minute to extend their lead to three points. Edenderry failed to score again until the twenty second minute when John Gorman sent over a good point to leave just two points between the sides. Tullamore hit back two minutes later when they took a short '45 and pointed the last score of the game to leave the full time score 2-4 to 1-10 

Full time: 
Edenderry 2-4 
Tullamore 1-10

Overall Edenderry could have no complaints regarding the result as Tullamore were a far fitter team which told in the final ten minutes. These sides meet again in the first round of the championship on June 29th and there will be a lot of work required before then if Edenderry are to get off to a good start.

Referee: Martin Carthy 

Colin Dunne, Padriag Foy, Adrian Bryan, John Blong, Stephen Abbott, Pat Moloney, Aaron O'Connell, Shane Connell, Diarmaid Meleady, Martin Keogh, Paddy Lynch(1-0), Peter O'Neill(0-2), Dean Cummins, Mark Young(1-0), John Gorman(0-1). 

Dan Ryan(0-1), Adrian Farrell, Michael Ennis, Brendan McCabe