News‎ > ‎

Juniors eliminated from championship

posted 19 Aug 2011, 14:02 by Edenderry GAA   [ updated 20 Aug 2011, 06:30 ]

Edenderry juniors have been eliminated from this year’s championship after an eight point defeat at the hands of Killeigh. It was a draw game at the interval but the dismissal of full back Adrian Bryan after six minutes in the second half allowed Killeigh to fully gain control and record a deserved win.


In a low scoring poor first half of football it was former senior footballer Cillian Farrell who opened the scoring after three minutes with a great left footed point. Killeigh responded and took the lead after nine minutes. John Gorman kicked a close range free after a foul on Cian Lawton and with ten minutes gone it was a draw game. There was a nine minute lull in play before Killeigh hit their third point of the game and four minutes later they double their lead leaving the scoreline 0-4 0-2.


There was just two minutes remaining in the first half when John Gorman set up Cillian Farrell who scored his second of the game and just on the stroke of half time David Farrelly played his part in setting up Sean Moriarty who kicked a huge point from distance to tie the game at half time at four points a piece.


Half time:


Edenderry 0-4 0-4 Killeigh


Edenderry won the throw up at the start of the second half and Paddy Lynch raced through on goal but his shot dragged just wide of the post. Edenderry can only wonder what might have been because from there on in Killeigh owned the ball. In the opening six minutes of the second half they kicked four points and were dominating the game. Edenderry lost full back Adrian Bryan to a straight red card and were forced to reshuffle their team. Another six minutes passed before a score came but again it was for Killeigh and in fact they kicked two points in the space of a minute. Edenderry appeared to have given up hope of catching the visitors by playing their normal game and insisted on going for goals as early as the twelfth minute. They failed to take two or three clear point scoring chances and instead Killeigh got the ball down the field and done what Edenderry should have done, took their points.


With sixteen minutes of the second half played Killeigh had scored eight points without reply. There was another lull in scoring for seven minutes for both teams, however did have their chances but again failed to take them. In the twenty third minute Killeigh hit their thirteenth point and two minutes added two more to give them a commanding 0-15 0-4 lead. David Farrelly had a great chance to reduce the deficit but his powerful shot ricochet off the cross bar and out to safety. With two minutes gone in injury time John Gorman did make Edenderry’s goal scoring chances count when he blasted the ball to the roof of the net for a great goal.


Full time:

Edenderry 1-4 0-15 Killeigh


This is Edenderry’s final game of the 2011 year as Shamrocks have awarded them a walkover. It was a disappointing result for the reds. In a game that could and should have been a lot closer, wrong decision making and fitness took its toll in the end and Killeigh were deserving winners.


The club would like to thank the management team of Peader O’Neill & Shane Connell for their efforts in 2011.


Man of the Match: Stephen Abbott


Referee: D Walsh


Team Sheet:


Cormac Hurley, Padraig Foy, Adrian Bryan, Stephen Abbott, Gary Blong, Colin McNamara, Aaron O’Connell, Shane Connell, Pat Moloney, Cian Lawton, Cillian Farrell(0-2), Paddy Lynch, Sean Moriarty(0-1), David Farrelly, John Gorman(1-1).


Andrew Forde for Aaron O’Connell (inj)

Dan Ryan for Sean Moriarty


Cian Lawton
Shane Connell
Aaron O'Connell
Paddy Lynch & Cillian Farrell