News‎ > ‎

Juniors beaten in Ballycumber

posted 24 Jun 2011, 07:05 by Serva sport
The juniors footballers travelled to Ballycumber on Tuesday night and a dismal first half display eventually cost the reds the game despite a spirited second half effort.

Edenderry started the game the better and with four minutes gone Mark Young pointed to put the reds infront after he linked up with Shane Connell and Sean Doyle. Ballycumber responded straight away and pointed straight from the kickout. Both sides battled for possession but for some wayward shooting Ballycumber could have been ahead. In the tenth minute they did add to their tally and went a point ahead.

Edenderry found it very hard to get into the game and Ballycumber were now dominating at centre field, winning all the breaks. Between the 17th minute until the 25th Ballycumber kicked a further six unanswered points. Trailing by seven points with half time approaching Mark Young pointed for Edenderry to reduce the deficit to six. 

Half time: 
Ballycumber 0-8 
Edenderry 0-2

Edenderry unfortuntaley made no improvement in the first ten minutes of the second half and this effectively ended their hopes of getting anything from the game. In the first four minutes of the second half Ballycumber kicked four points and just five minutes later they added a fifth. With twenty minutes remaining the reds trailed by eleven points but infairness to them they started to battle hard and three points in the space of five minutes, two from Sean Doyle and one from Mark Young left eight between the sides.

Ballycumber came back again and pointed but another five minute spell saw the reds reduce the gap with two points, one from Sean Doyle and Paddy Lynch and a superb goal from Dean Cummins. Ballycumber pointed on twenty seven and just at the final whistle Mark Young scored his fourth point of the game to leave the final score 1-8 to 0-15.

Edenderry only played for the final fifteen minutes of the game and will be left to lament the loss of two valuable points. However at times there was an element of bad luck as the reds hit the crossbar three times and Dean Cummins had a goal bound shot excellently saved by the Ballycumber goalkeeper. Also the loss of Dan Nolan after just nine minutes to injury was a huge blow.

On the night Edenderry were best served by Adrian Bryans, Padraig Foy, Aaron O'Connell, Paddy Lynch and Mark Young. 

Man of the Match: Padraig Foy 

Referee: Noel Cooney 

Michael Ennis, Stephen Abbott, Adrian Bryan, Padraig Foy, John Blong(capt), Dan Nolan, Aaron O'Connell, Shane Connell, Adrian Mahon, Paddy Lynch(0-1), Sean Doyle(0-3), Dan Ryan, Mark Young(0-4, 1f), Dean Cummins(1-0), David Hanlon. 

Andrew Forde for Dan Nolan(inj) 
Brendan McCabe for Michael Ennis 
John Gorman for Adrian Mahon(inj) 
James Pollard for Andrew Forde 

Adrian Forde, Adrian Farrell