News‎ > ‎

Carbury win Tony Hurst memorial

posted 24 Jun 2011, 07:31 by Serva sport   [ updated 24 Jun 2011, 07:55 ]
Edenderry 0-6 
Carbury 0-13 

Carbury claimed the second annual Tony Hurst memorial shield with a 0-13 to 0-6 win over Edenderry on Saturday evening. In a game played at championship pace it was great to see both sides treating the game with great respect and it was clear to see both sides were eager for the win.

Carbury started the brighter and after just one minute scored their first point of the game but it would take another ten minutes before the next score would come. Both sides battled for possession in a hard hitting but fair game and Carbury double their lead but Martin Keogh pointed for the reds after some great play from Ciaran Hurley. Ciaran soon got in on the act pointing from a free after a foul on Colm Byrne. Four minutes later Edenderry took the lead when Sean Doyle pointed from distance and five minutes on Edenderry doubled their lead when Keith McGuinness scored a great point. With just five minutes to half time Carbury hit 3 unanswered scores to give them a one point advantage at the interval.

The second half started similar to the first with both sides again working hard for possession and it was seven minutes into the second half before their was a score when Carbury stretched their lead to two points. Keith McGuinness hit back straight away after been played through by Johnny Hurst. A free for Carbury again gave them a two point advantage but on seventeen minutes Basil Malone pointed for the reds. A four minute spell saw Carbury kick four points and ended Edenderry's hopes of a win but Edenderry did play right until the end and never gave up. Two further points in injury time gave Carbury a 0-13 to 0-6 win and overall on the day they were the better team.

Despite been a non competitive game both sides fought hard to win the game and unlike most challenge matches this was certainly not a dead rubber. The club would like to thank Carbury GAA, their players and supporters for a great sporting game. Finally the club would also like to thank the Hurst family for allowing them to host this memorial and we look forward to many more years of this fixture.

Man of the match: Basil Malone 

Referee: John Reilly 

Brian Quinlan, Diarmaid Meleady, David Hanlon, Wayne Mooney, Colm Byrne, Johnny Hurst(capt), Aaron O'Connell, Basil Malone(0-1), Derek Kelly, Sean Doyle(0-1), Keith McGuinness(0-2), Ciaran Hurley(0-1), Stuart Cullen, Martin Keogh(0-1), Mark Young 

Johnny Blong for Aaron O'Connell 
Padraig Foy for David Hanlon 
David Farrelly for Derek Kelly 
John Gorman for Stuart Cullen 
Dan Ryan for Sean Doyle 
Joe Murphy for Mark Young 
Stephen Abbott for Martin Keogh 
Gary Blong for Ciaran Hurley